Ultra Cheesy Lower Carb Veggie Pasta
This pasta is so dang good!! Also, it's absolutely PACKED with vegetables. Seriously, PACKED. Even the pasta is made out of 100% veggies (lentils & spinach to be precise).
To give you an idea of just how many veggies are in the pasta, I'll make you a list.
French Cut Green Beans
Tomatoes (in the marinara sauce)
Lentils (in Noodles)
Spinach (in Noodles)
TIPS to CUT CARBS in PASTA.
1. Swap Regular Pasta for Vegetable Pasta.
Veggie Pasta is higher in fiber and protein. Fiber and Protein have been shown to decrease a diabetic's postprandial spike. Protein and Fiber also help increase satiety for better weight loss. ALSO, along with having more fiber & protein, veggie pasta tends to be a little less in total carbs than regular pasta. Win. WIN. WIN!
2. Double Up the Non-starchy Veggies. A great way to add even more wonderful fiber for weight loss and better blood sugar is to add more non-starchy veggies. Along with that, non-starchy veggies add volume, powerful nutrients, and hardly add additional calories. Some of my favorite non-stsasrchy veggies to add to pasta are broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and summer squash. Try it!
3. Choose your Sauce, Carefully. Sauces can be the mother-load of where the sugar in a marinara pasta are coming from. By choosy about your sauces and aim for a sauce that is less than 5 grams per serving. Rao's Marinara Sauce is a great way to go. In 1/2 cup, there are only 4 grams of carbs.
4. Add a Protein. Adding a protein like chicken, lean meat (turkey, lean ground beef), or a vegan protein source such as Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), Edamame, Nutritional Yeast, Tofu, etc. Protein, similar to fiber, adds a great fill factor, and helps decrease a postprandial spike.
5. Take Out Pasta Part Completely. If using VEggia Pasta is still too high for your carb allowance, keep the non-starchy veggies, low carb sauce, adding a protein, but just take out the pasta (regualr or veggie). Take out completely, or create your pasta from non-starchy veggies like zucchini noodles (zoodles). If this sounds a like a goo doption for you, you should check out a Spiralizer or a Veggiespize.
CHEESY LOW CARB VEGGIE PASTA
Serving: 2 Servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 20 min
10 fluid ounce, Rotini and vegetables
12 ounce, French Cut (in frozen isle)
12 ounce, Broccoli Cuts (in frozen isle)
3 tbsp, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
1/2 cup, Marinara Sauce
1 tbsp, Cheese - Parmesan, shredded
1 tsp, Garlic salt
6 oz., Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1/2 cup, Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese
1. Microwave Rotini 100% Veggie Noodles for 3 1/2 min.
2. As Rotini Noodles are cooking, turn stove top to Medium and add a large sauce pan.
3. Add frozen broccoli, green beans.
4. Once frozen veggies become semi-cooked, add the marinara sauce, roasted red pepper hummus, garlic salt, and boneless skinless chicken breast.
5. Dump in cooked veggie noodles, mix well, then top with Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese.
6. Split into 2 large servings, and enjoy!
Per Serving. Total Calories: 436. Total Fat: 17g (Saturated: 6g, Monounsaturated: 1g, Polyunsaturated: 0g, Trans: 0g). Cholesterol: 62mg. Sodium: 1784mg. Potassium: 1232mg. Total Carbohydrates: 39g (Dietary Fiber: 12g, Sugars: 6g). Protein: 37g.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
As always, if you are having trouble with your diabetes and/or weight loss, email me or visit my website so we can figure out a customized game plan based entirely on you. I'm 100% here for you and understand all your frustrations because I am a T1D and a Registered Dietitian.
When we talk, I will look in detail at what, when, and the amount you are eating, along with what you are doing for exercise (or not doing, we'll be honest with each other). Together we will analyze your blood sugar (use your Dexcom Clarity reports if you have a Dexcom) and together we will decipher why you are getting your frustrating highs and lows. After a single session, you will have answers and a much better clarity of why your blood sugars react they way they do to your food, exercise, and lifestyle.
After talking, we will stay in touch, and you will have direct access to me for any questions. I deeply care about each and everyone of my clients.
If you just have a general question, send me an email and I will get back to you ASAP.
Your friend & Dietitian,
Ariel Warren, RD, CD, T1D
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
For more articles from me and other health professionals, check out HapiBody.com. On HapiBody, you can always ask ANY health question and be answered by a professional. HapiBody also has great healthy recipes for you and your whole family and effective at-home workouts for weight loss and full body toning.