We have been crazy for pizza at my house lately. We just can't seem to get enough, so that means, more pizza recipes for you.
But really, this pizza recipe was a slam dunk. My husband was really wanting something good, and was almost out the door to make his way to the closet Papa Johns, BUT I asked him to give me 45 min. If he didn't like what I created, I would let him go get his fast-food (not weight-loss friendly) pizza.
The deal was on, this pizza had to be good.
So I don't leave you in suspense, it was a total success!! He loved it so much that he wants me to make this pizza every Saturday night for the rest of our lives. I like to create recipes too often to do that, but I appreciated the compliment.
I was a bit of a skeptic using Cauliflower for the crust, but if done right, it actually adds a nice crunch that is thick, and a flavor that is rich. In my personal opinion, my cauliflower crust recipe has more flavor than typical pizza crust.
Ready for the Secret Ingredient?
If you know me, you know I love "secret" ingredients. Today I have 2 winners that really make this Diabetic Friendly Pizza unique.
1. Roasted Red Pepper hummus
2. Low fat mozzarella cheese
Oh, I am so giddy for you to try this pizza!!
Along with being lower in carbs, this pizza recipe is higher in protein, fiber, and many phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals from using all that superfood cauliflower. I kept rather simple with this pizza, but I plan on doing a supreme next week (I just love stuffing my recipes with veggies to the grim!).
Okay, to the diabetic-friendly pizza recipe!!
BEST Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza
Yield: 12 Slices
Serving: 6 Servings, 2 big slices = 1 serving
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
2 tbsps Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
2 tbsps Rao's Pizza Sauce
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, fat-free
34 Turkey Pepperoni Slices
3 oz Turkey, sliced
Add any other toppings, go crazy!
1. Set oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper (or a light layer of olive oil).
2. Cut into chunks, and pulse Cauliflower in a food processer or blender until it is fine.
3. Microwave cauliflower for 8 min on high (or until soft). Pour onto a clean paper towel and let cool for 5 min.
4. Ring out cauliflower in towel, removing as much moisture as possible.
5. In a large bowl, pour the dried cauliflower with all other crust ingredients. Mix well and form into a ball.
6. Place ball onto the sheet pan, and press (using your hands) to a thin crust. Bake until crust is lightly golden (~15 min).
7. Remove crust from the oven and add hummus and pizza sauce. Mix together and spread throughout entire crust.
8. Add mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, then sliced turkey meat. Add any other toppings you like.
9. Pop pizza back into the oven for 5 min (or until cheese has melted).
10. Take out of the oven, slice into 12 slices (4 X 3), and enjoy 2 large slices for single serving.
Per Serving. Total Calories: 289. Total Fat: 17g (Saturated: 9g, Monounsaturated: 4g, Polyunsaturated: 1g, Trans: 0g). Cholesterol: 120mg. Sodium: 1105mg. Potassium: 556mg. Total Carbohydrates: 10g (Dietary Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 4g). Protein: 26g.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
As always, if you are having trouble with your diabetes and/or weight loss, email me or visit my website so we can figure out a customized game plan based entirely on you. I'm 100% here for you and understand all your frustrations because I am a T1D and a Registered Dietitian.
When we talk, I will look in detail at what, when, and the amount you are eating, along with what you are doing for exercise (or not doing, we'll be honest with each other). Together we will analyze your blood sugar (use your Dexcom Clarity reports if you have a Dexcom) and together we will decipher why you are getting your frustrating highs and lows. After a single session, you will have answers and a much better clarity of why your blood sugars react they way they do to your food, exercise, and lifestyle.
After talking, we will stay in touch, and you will have direct access to me for any questions. I deeply care about each and everyone of my clients.
If you just have a general question, send me an email and I will get back to you ASAP.
Your friend & Dietitian,
Ariel Warren, RD, CD, T1D
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
For more articles from me and other health professionals, check out HapiBody.com. On HapiBody, you can always ask ANY health question and be answered by a professional. HapiBody also has great healthy recipes for you and your whole family and effective at-home workouts for weight loss and full body toning.
Lastly, if you want to join a T1D FB Group who is supportive and full of great workouts and blood sugar challenges, join "Getting Fit with T1D". Right now we are having a 1 month HbA1c challenge.